Thursday, August 07, 2008

Hey Up!

I'm back in London.

I've been recovering from my two days in Hamburg, which in turn were a recovery from my four days at the Wacken Open Air Festival.

Wacken was amazing. Sixty-Five thousand metallers in a field. The nearby village of Wacken has a standing population 51 weeks of the year of 1800 souls.

The bands were great, the people were really friendly. The atmosphere was amazing. The scenery was great. The weather was either too hot or raining, but I didn't care.

To be honest, something like this might actually reverse my long-standing hate of camping. But let's not get carried away.

I met a lot of people from around the world. There were Australians there who had come all the way from the Antipodes. They showed me their wrists to show the half dozen festival bracelets that they had accumulated at all of the festivals that they had been to so far.

The interview I was supposed to do got rescheduled, so I wound up doing it in my hotel room in Hamburg with my mobile phone set on speaker and my recorder on the table next to it.

Hamburg was the best place to wind down after the festival. Hamburg is compact and very chilled. The hotel/hostel I stayed in was clean and modern and full of people who had just been at Wacken.

Germany seems to be so much cleaner than London. The people seem friendlier and the cities seem to be better realised. Hamburg felt like a parallel universe Brisbane in a lot of ways, only with nicer buildings and everyone speaking German.

I definitely have to go back sometime.

Forgetting to bring a towel meant that I had to buy a set at the Festival, so I am now the proud owner of a Wacken Hand und Ducshe Tuchen pair.

Forgetting to bring soap meant that I had to go into the village to buy some, which meant that I got to meet some of the incredibly nice people of Wacken Village.

I could write a book about my week in Germany.

I will write more about this all, but in the meantime I have work to do.

Over and out.

-J

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home